Thursday, October 14, 2010
Can electromagnetic field exposures (EMFs) from cell phones and the like cause damage to our eyes?
Yes they can. The use of cell phones has been linked to cancer of the eye by a German study. Whats-more, using a cell phone may increase your chances of getting eye cancer by 300%, so the studies say.
Besides the development of eye cancer, cell phone radiation can also be responsible for the formation of cataracts. Burning of the eyes, pain behind the eyes, ‘floaters’ (actually little bits of gel that detach themselves from the inside of the eye and float around), and a general deterioration of the vision are all hallmarks of damage caused by cell phone radiation.
1. Try whenever possible, to use a land line phone instead of a cell phone. This will be easiest when you are at home, only using a cell phone when absolutely necessary will cut back on your exposure to this damaging radiation. Click here for my tips on reducing your exposure to cell phone radiation.
2. There are herbal products that offer protection from the effects of cell phone radiation and keep your eyes healthy. Both bilberry and ginko biloba are powerful antioxidants. These herbs are especially good at preventing and healing damage to the eyes, and bilberry can help to increase blood flow to the eye’s capillaries, which will help to heal any damage caused by radiation. The ability to perform as an antioxidant is also important in cleaning up any abnormal cells that may result from cell phone use.
3. If you wear eyeglasses like me, make sure that the frames are plastic rather than wire, the metal in the wire frame can act as an antenna. Like a radio or television antenna, this antenna can direct the cell phone radiation into your eyes and brain.
4. The mineral zinc has many beneficial uses for the body in general and can be particularly helpful in maintaining high levels of antioxidants in the eyes. I don’t advocate taking supplements on a long term basis, but taking zinc can be beneficial.
5. Increase your melatonin levels. You can take melatonin supplements but better still, help your body create the conditions so a natural supply of melatonin is assured.
There are those that advocate using EMF “chips”, “neutralizers” and “harmonizers” to gain protection from EMF radiation. Some of these devices are meant to be worn others you plug into your electrical supply, to supposedly protect yourself from cell phone radiation and other forms of EMF pollution. I DO NOT view these kinds of devices as a solution – some of them can be dangerous.
Take the necessary action to protect you and your family against the devastating effects of cell phone radiation and other EMFs on your eyes. Everyone, even if you do not personally use a cell phone, is exposed to EMFs whether it be from computer screens, wifi, cell phone towers, electrical wiring etc.