Thursday, August 02, 2012

'Allergic to technology': Man, 36, lives alone in remote woodland after claiming phones and TVs give him blackouts, nosebleeds and crippling headaches


 
MailOnline - news, sport, celebrity, science and health stories

'Allergic to technology': Man, 36, lives alone in remote woodland after claiming phones and TVs give him blackouts, nosebleeds and crippling headaches

Tuesday, Jul 24 2012
  • Phil Inkly claims he suffers from a condition called electromagnetic hypersensitivity
  • He claims he becomes ill from radiation from Wi-Fi, cordless and mobile phones, microwaves, computers, phone masts, TVs and even batteries
  • 36-year-olds symptoms include nosebleeds, blackouts, sleep disturbance, unbearable burning and crippling headaches

PUBLISHED: 11:08 GMT, 24 July 2012 | UPDATED: 12:55 GMT, 24 July 2012

A former computer technician claims he has been forced to live alone in a caravan in remote woodland because he’s allergic to technology.

Phil Inkly says modern life has become unbearable and his life has been ruined because of the bizarre self-diagnosed condition.

The 36-year-old claims he becomes ill from radiation from Wi-Fi, cordless and mobile phones, microwaves, computers, phone masts, TVs and even batteries.

Bizarre: Phil Inkly, pictured, has been forced to live alone in a caravan in remote woodland - because he¿s allergic to technologyBizarre: Phil Inkly, pictured, has been forced to live alone in a caravan in remote woodland - because he's allergic to technology
Unfortunate: The 36-year-old claims he suffers from a condition called electromagnetic hypersensitivityUnfortunate: The 36-year-old claims he suffers from a condition called electromagnetic hypersensitivity

He says his symptoms include nosebleeds, blackouts, sleep disturbance, unbearable burning and crippling headaches so bad that he couldn’t stand to live amongst people anymore.
The 36-year-old claims he suffers from a condition called electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS), meaning he has an environmental intolerance to electromagnetic fields.

He claims it is so severe that he is unable to live a normal life and has lost his social life, work and money - and has been forced to live in a caravan in woods to control the unbearable pain.
 
And worryingly, doctors fear the radiation may have caused a tumour or hemorrhage in Phil’s brain - but he’s unable to have an MRI scan due to his extreme reaction to technology.

Mr Inkly, 36, of Silchester, Hampshire, said: 'I’ve become so sensitised to pulsed microwaves that it’s pretty much ruined my life and I’m literally having to live hand-to-mouth.

'I was so ill at one point that I believe living in the woods saved my life. It was the only time I could get some sleep and control the excruciating pain.

Rare: Sufferers of the self-diagnosed condition believe they have an environmental intolerance to electromagnetic fields such as technology and all-round radiation that most people don¿t noticeRare: Sufferers of the self-diagnosed condition believe they have an environmental intolerance to electromagnetic fields such as technology and all-round radiation that most people don't notice

'I’ve lost my social life, love life and work because I’m always ill and can only handle being in remote areas with little radiation so because of this, money is tight.'

Eight years ago, Mr Inkly had been working as a sound engineer and music producer before moving to Hampshire to work for his family’s landscape gardening business.

The self-confessed ‘techy’ began fixing customers’ computers and internet problems in the evenings and weekends, when he began getting pressure and pain in his temples and an aching sensation in his heart.

Mr Inkly said: 'I’ve been passionate about technology from childhood, previously working as a sound engineer and tutor of music technology. I frequently repaired computers for family and friends - all was fine until things started going wireless.

'To begin with, it was just when I was in close proximity to Wi-Fi, computers or mobiles.
'I was getting achey pains in my chest and stabbing pains through my head, but it was tolerable.

'I noticed that when I was working in the country, away from built up areas, it did ease slightly.

'Then I moved near Aborfield Garason, a former Army base in Berkshire now used as a technology base, and it was the worst mistake of my life - I was feeling worse and worse during the day.

'I began getting awful nosebleeds and had trouble sleeping. I became sensitised to everything - wifi, phone masts, even phone boxes and batteries.

'Now I suffer from extreme pain on the side of my brain that I used to hold my phone to, and when I get nosebleed it comes from the nostril on that side of my head too so I believe it’s linked.'

Unwell: Mr Inkly claims he becomes ill from radiation from Wi-Fi, cordless and mobile phones, microwaves, computers, phone masses, TVs and even batteriesUnwell: Mr Inkly claims he becomes ill from radiation from Wi-Fi, cordless and mobile phones, microwaves, computers, phone masses, TVs and even batteries

EHS is not currently accepted as a condition in the UK because critics are still sceptical that it exists. 

But those who believe they have the condition attribute their symptoms to electromagnetic fields (EMF’s) and transmitting technology.

Studies have shown that although 3-5 per cent of people are moderately sensitive, and a few severely, around 20-30 per cent of people may suffer slightly and without even realising.

Mr Inkly said the final straw was a weekend visiting friends in London. The radiation coming from friends mobiles, as well as all the technology in the city, caused him excruciating pain.

On his return, he packed up some belongings and took his tent into the centre of woodlands - where he lived for a few weeks until the winter hit.

It was the only time he felt relief from the pain caused by modern living.

He has since moved into a caravan near the woods, but said he still suffered from sleepless nights and pain from phones in a nearby office so he bought the office new eco phones instead.

Mr Inkly said: 'When I was in the woods, it was absolutely infected with ticks and I’d go to sleep every night and wake up every morning peeling the ticks from my body.

'I knew I was running the risk of Lyme Disease but I was willing to take that risk just to get some sleep and feel better.

'Three of my friends clubbed together to buy me a caravan, which is now situated by the woods.

'But I fell ill again because there was an office next to it with phones, so I bought the office new phones which switches off radiation when the phones aren’t being used and turns the power down 80 per cent when they are in use.'

Mr Inkly has seen several doctors and a neurologist who is concerned about the pressure in his brain.

He said: 'There is a worry it could be a tumour or a haemorrhage and they have strongly recommended I have a brain scan, but of course I would be in so much pain if I did that.
'But it isn’t just the pain I’m suffering with - the worst part is losing my friends, my social life and work. I’m living in isolation.

'I’ve always been a total techy. Communication is a good thing, and being allergic to it has left me very lonely.

'I can’t visit or call my friends, or even do simple things like go to the pub because people have mobile phones, or there may be a TV or Wi-Fi.

Alone: Mr Inkly's symptoms include nosebleeds, blackouts, sleep disturbance, unbearable burning and crippling headaches so bad that he couldn¿t stand to live amongst people anymoreAlone: Mr Inkly's symptoms include nosebleeds, blackouts, sleep disturbance, unbearable burning and crippling headaches so bad that he couldn't stand to live amongst people anymore.

'I can’t have neighbours or live in a residential street.

'Even working as a gardener in the outdoors doesn’t offer relief, because of course there is still technology all around so I’ve lost days of work through illness.

'But I have to make a living somehow and I don’t want to live on benefits, so I have to carry on with the pain.

'I don’t see a way of things ever getting better for me, and I don’t know how long I will have to live like this.'

Mr Inkly's case echoes that of French women Anne Cautain and Bernadette Touloumond, also sufferers of hypersensitive reactions, who live in a cave to escape the radiation.

Cautain and Toulomond have spent three years in the cave because they too believe there unbearable burning and terrible headaches were symptoms of electrosensitivity.

Doctor Andrew Tresidder, a Somerset-based GP and trustee of electrosensitivity charity ES-UK, believes he too suffers from electromagnetic sensitivity - despite it not being medically recognised as a condition due to a lack of evidence.

Concerns: Worryingly, doctors fear the radiation may have caused a tumour or haemorrhage in Mr Inkly's brain - but he¿s unable to have an MRI scan due to his extreme reaction to technologyConcerns: Worryingly, doctors fear the radiation may have caused a tumour or haemorrhage in Mr Inkly's brain - but he's unable to have an MRI scan due to his extreme reaction to technology.

Doubts: EHS is not currently accepted as a condition in the UK because critics are still sceptical that it existsDoubts: EHS is not currently accepted as a condition in the UK because critics are still sceptical that it exists

Dr Tresidder said: 'Symptoms vary from fatigue, headaches, brain fog, tingling, nausea, sleep disturbance, pains in joints and fingers, a bumping heart and many other symptoms.
'Often these are caused by transmitting technology, such as a nearby mobile phone or wifi transmitter, or from other electromagnetic fields.

'There is disruption of cellular function and disturbance of the body endocrine systems.' 

'Unfortunately the Government bodies at present consider that the issue is psychological.

'There is considerable scientific research that shows adverse effects of electromagnetic fields on biological systems, including humans.

'In five years time we may look back and realise a major public health disaster has been happening under our noses.'

No comments:

Post a Comment